This is a growing list of resources for authors and online writers.
- Best First Lines is a collection of 300+ opening lines from a variety of literary works. Mostly novels but also poetry and non-fiction.
- 88 Rules to Become a Better Writer: My own all-round guide to writing with more clarity.
- Story Grid: free and paid resources for fiction writing.
- Ulysses: A pleasant, focused writing experience combined with effective document management, fast syncing and flexible export options
- Hemingway Editor: Online spelling and language tool.
- Grammarly: Downloadable spelling and language tool. (Premium needed for full feedback).
- Typefully: My favourite tool to write, schedule, and analyse tweets (useful for audience building and writing in public).
- Reedsy: Free tool with standard formatting to export ePub, MOBI and (print-ready) PDF.
- Vellum: slightly more advanced tool but only available after a one-time payment.
- Kadavy: 24 self-publishing tips from David Kadavy.
Communities (and their resources)
- Write Useful Books: Rob Fitzpatrick’s guide to writing non-fiction books that keep selling.
- The Indie Space: Jon’s community for fiction and non-fiction indie authors
Books & Articles
- On Writing Well: The Classic Guide to Writing Non-fiction — William Zinsser
- Murder Your Darlings: And Other Gentle Writing Advice from Aristotle to Zinsser — Roy Peter Clark
- Politics and the English Language — George Orwell
- Damn Gravity Book Publishing: Publishing company aiming to become the most author-centric publisher in the US.